Thursday, June 29, 2006

Help, Americans!
I need to know! What are your 4th of July traditions? Obviously most people catch some fireworks in the evening, but what else is there?

For the last couple of weeks, I've been telling Hans that we need to have some sort of 4th of July celebration for my sake. But when he asked what that was going to involve... well, I can't really come up with anything.

I don't think I have much in the way of 4th of July traditions, since I've been on my own for quite some time. I don't even remember what we did as a kid. Was there a barbeque? Was there a parade? Is there some sort of food that represents our independence? I have no idea.

Thanks to my archives, I was able to find out what I've done the last few years anyway...
  • 2002: I flew home and watched the fireworks from my parents' driveway.
  • 2003: I apparently flew home for a week again. Fireworks on the parents' driveway.
  • 2004: Parents came to Nashville. Watched a movie. Fireworks the night before.
  • 2005: Spent the day packing. Pretty sure I didn't do anything else.
So I'm stuck. I was thinking about getting some American-style hotdogs and see if we can cook them up on the in-laws' grill. I don't know... lemonade? Frozen fruit cups? (Nevermind that it's fricking FREEZING here right now.) Oooo... this may be a good time to use up my jet-puffed marshmallows on Rice Krispie treats. (Though they're called Rice Bubbles here.) Fireworks are pretty much illegal everywhere around here, but I think we can get our hands on some sparklers.

But what says "Fourth of July" to you?


Chucky the Cat
I don't know if I've mentioned before that our house came with a cat. He used to belong to Hans' brother, who left him when he moved out. Hans' mom buys his food, but Chucky won't eat at her house. So we put the food in his bowl by our door, and all is right in the world.

I'm not a super-fan of animals in the house, because Hans is allergic. (And I'm not entirely convinced that I'm not as well.) But it has been so cold outside, that sometimes I let him in... just for a quick cuddle.

He's the most cuddly cat ever. All he wants to do is rub his face on you. (Is that a sign of rabies or anything like that?) It's pretty cute. I can't help but love him just a little.

Well, now he sort of thinks he owns the place. And whenever I open the door, he makes a mad dash to get in. Normally it's okay, but when I'm trying to leave the house, it becomes a pain having to shoo him out.

The other night I heard him outside meowing like he's never meowed before. I was afraid he was hurt. So I opened the door and called to him. He dashed inside before I had a chance to get a good look.

Hans told me to get away and that I didn't want to see Chucky. So I turned away, and Hans managed to get him out just after I realized that Chucky... Cute Lil' Chucky... is a killer, and he wanted to show off his little field-mouse trophy. With morbid curiosity I looked out the window, only to see that the mouse wasn't completely dead yet, and Chucky would put it down and catch it over and over. Ick. Makes me think twice about letting that little face rub all over me ever again.

Oh Crap
Today is the first day since we've been married that I've left the house without my engagement ring. Still have the wedding band on, but it feels weird.

2 Comments:

Jun 29 2006, 04:54 pm

Oops. I left my fourth of July comment down with the sickness post, so I guess you can go read it there.

For what it's worth, there's been a bad cold floating around Boston as well. Maybe it's a worldwide thing.

3:28 PM  

Jun 30 2006, 02:01 pm


hmm...how cold IS it there right now? i keep forgetting all the backwards-ness...

um...we always had a cookout...burgers, hot dogs, my mom's baked beans (mm...i can send you the recipe if you want!)...

i'm pretty sure that we just lounged and did nothing...then went to see fireworks at night.

here in ohio, there's a whole parade and street fair (americanafestival.org...sorry...my html days are long gone...), and then fireworks at night.

i just think of the music from our country's past...songs about our freedom and our country and what makes it different...and yes, definitely sparklers and whipper-snappers. :)

i think that rice krispy treats would suffice as well. :)

hope it goes well...and sorry if this was a pointless comment!! :)
LOVE!

3:28 PM  

Post a comment