Friday, March 28, 2008

Save Electricity, Kill Trees
This morning we were leaving the train station, and there was a group of people handing out postcards. Having seen the logo before, I pulled Hans around them and told him not to accept one. Sure enough, when we passed the garbage can outside, there were dozens and dozens of postcards reminding people about Earth Hour. Ugh, at least offer a recycle bin for people.

I hate Earth Hour. Something about it irks me to no end. Like, ooo, let's shut our lights off for ONE, single, solitary hour (while using batteries and burning candles) and then pat ourselves on the back for helping save the Earth.

How about having Earth DAY? Where we consider turning all our electronics OFF instead of on standby. Where we choose our products based on the amount of packaging and the recycleability of that packaging. Where we take public transport instead of idling by ourselves in our cars on the freeway.

I realize that Earth HOUR is just the beginning, but I just think it's a lame beginning.

But that's me. I recycle. I compost. I am soon to be getting my eggs directly from the chicken. I want to try canning and growing a window-box herb garden. And I'll shut my lights off for Earth Hour... because we'll be gone.

UPDATE
I just had to quote this person who is also anti-Earth Hour:
Participation in Earth Hour is a salve for people who are otherwise thoughtless about their impact on the environment. It becomes a one hour penance for spendthrift activity and as soon as it is over, they can go back to their TVs and entertainment units, and continue to live their lives the way they always have.
-Woolly Days

Linky Links
♥ Love, LOVE this Vintage Pillowcase Lunchbox now with tutorial!

♥ Oh em gee... homemade butter with bonus buttermilk. That sounds wonderful. I just don't know how quickly we could use it. Of course, if it is that good, we probably won't have trouble finding places to spread it. (And my buttermilk waffles are pretty much to die for.)

Embroidery Transfers... gosh, I'm turning into my grandmother.

♥ Gosh I miss NPR. That earlier site linked to The Splendid Table, my old Sunday-drive-home-from-church show. Oh, how I miss you, Fresh Air, This American Life, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me, and even you, Car Talk.

Reversible Wrap-Skirt Pattern PDF: I miss my sewing machine!

CONGRATS!
Just saw that the baby has arrived! So happy for you both. (Though Hans probably won't be happy to hear about the difficult labour. He's a lot cluckier than I am, and he likes me to believe it's all a piece of cake.)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Mar 27 2008, 08:35 pm
you're really becoming a hippie, aren't you. But if you stop shaving your armpits, I may have to have an intervention...

10:02 PM  

Mar 27 2008, 10:54 pm
Yeah, I'm saving the planet for YOUR child, so shush. :P

10:02 PM  

Mar 29 2008, 10:27 am
You tell that Hans he should have to try and poop a big long watermelon and then think having a baby is a piece of cake. Jim was so impressed with Erin,he had tears in his eyes. Quite a man! And he cut the cord. Not bad for someone who doesn't deal well with a cold. Judy

10:02 PM  

Apr 06 2008, 12:32 am
I recently stayed in a hotel that left me a candle in the room telling me to turn off my lights during Earth Hour. The problem was that I didn't get this until I came to my room AFTER the appointed time, but the hotel staff had turned on the lights in my room so that I would see the candle. So, ironically, if they hadn't told me about Earth Hour the lights would have been off instead!

10:03 PM  

Post a comment