Thursday, February 11, 2010

Oh Canada...
I'm getting ready for our Vancouver Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony dinner on Saturday night. It's probably the most excited I've ever been about Canada.

For the Beijing Summer Olympics, I put together a stir fry and made fortune cookies and paper lanterns. It was hard to come up with a Canadian theme, but I'm quite pleased with what I've got to work with this time. There are some surprises, but I will say that there was paper-mâché and also flowers...

Flower Flag

Once Upon a Time
I used some of my Christmas money to purchase Family Tree Maker 2010, a genealogy program. With it I got a six-month subscription to Ancestry.com.

I had been doing a little research and was using Geni.com, which has a great interface. However, the more I looked into doing genealogy "for real", the more I realized I needed to keep track of my sources, which isn't something that Geni does well if at all.

So over the last month, I've spent most of my evenings pouring through the resources that Ancestry has available... censuses, vital records, and my favourite, the newspaper archives. It's amazing how the society columns in the small-town papers were like the Twitter of today. So and so visited so and so on Sunday afternoon.

I found the wedding announcement of my parents' wedding in the local paper. I also came across this one of my Great-Aunt & Uncle from 1936. (Love her shoes!)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

I love the announcement. It is so cute!

2:00 AM  

What a fantastic keepsake! Love it!

9:57 AM  

Post a comment