Thursday, December 31, 2009

Links for Later
I've been saving the tabs on this browser for the better part of December, so in an effort to clear the slate before the new year, I thought I'd do a quick link post.

Food-Related
Fresh Corn & Avocado Salad: I made this one for our Boxing Day get-together, and it was really nice and super easy. I used verjuice for the Champagne vinegar and squeezed a bit of lime over the avos to keep them from turning brown before we ate.

Beef & Cabbage Stir-Fry: for future reference (via Kris)

Black Eyed Peas & Greens: Probably isn't going to happen as a New Year's tradition this year, but I'm curious to try the recipe.

Homemade Peppermint Patties: Seems do-able and sounds good.

Quick Bread in a Bottle: I made these jars for my in-laws for Christmas this year. I admit I haven't actually tried the recipe yet, so I hope it's good. Just ran out of time. I found milk bottles at Spotlight. Hansldesigned the fold-out directions with detachable recipe card. (Email me if you want to use it.)

Bread Jar Gifts Bread Jar Recipe

Real Whipped Cream on the Go at Freeze Happy: Put whipped cream dollops on wax paper and freeze to use later on desserts or in coffee. But the real reason I've saved this link is the hilarious aside at the bottom about make-shift piping bags and the kitty-poo-like results they produce.

Alinea Mosaic: I first heard about the restaurant Alinea when the owner was interviewed on one of my NPR podcasts about this time last year. Since then, I've been intrigued by molecular gastronomy. This has also been fueled by the chemists on Top Chef. From what I can tell the Mosaic sight has a forum about a book they must have released, but the topics are fascinating. They are surprisingly transparent with their techniques and recipes. See also: All Things Alinea Flickr Pool for some mouth-watering photos.

For the Locals
Sublime, Photography & Coffeehouse: One Saturday we were traveling from the Rocklea markets to the Moggill Markets and passed this place in Graceville. They just opened a little coffee stand out behind their studio. It's a really lovely place, good coffee, and relaxing spot to read the paper.

Cute, Crafty, or Otherwise
Retro Renovation: "your daily dose of mid century renovation resources... design inspiration... fun finds... and a growing community of people all interested in restoring, preserving and cherishing their 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s homes."

Tonic Living: Amazingly beautiful retro fabrics. Love, love, love.

2009 Christmas Candy Box: A downloadable template for a cute little gift box. Check out the '08 & '07 editions as well.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Hey Danielle! Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday! Hope you had a great one! Sorry for my tardiness, but I've had a few computer issues lately.
I can't believe Omaha is getting an Anthro - they're really movin' up in the world, eh? And I'm totally jealous of your birthday present - James Taylor! Holy crap! It'll be awesome. Hope your new year is going well so far!

12:58 AM  

I'm making the Beef & Cabbage stir fry TONIGHT - looks awesome.

My latest invention was baked chicken cutlets in white wine with prosciutto and capers - just needs one minor adjustment on the sautee time on the front end.

10:50 PM  

Post a comment