Monday, June 08, 2009

Queens Park on Queen's Birthday
After reading about all the get-togethers of the Sydney American Expats, I thought I should mention that we've got a few in Brisbane, and we know how to have fun too! So today we had three Americans and a Kiwi celebrating the Queen's Birthday at Queens Park.

We joined Brisbane-newcomers Nat & Chrissi at the Nature Centre to have a stroll through the animal enclosures. I must say that the more times I visit, the more I'm starting to love those ugly emus.

Emuuu

We had afternoon tea at the cafe and saw the resident cockatoo Cocky. He can dance and say "scratch my head", and he made a friend in Chrissi when she did just that. I believe I snapped this photo just before he attacked my camera and gave me a fright.

Cocky

It was a beautiful day and lots of fun hanging with some American peeps who share a lot in common with us. We leave Friday on a mission to partake in white cheese dip in remembrance of them.

Money, Money, Money... Must Be Funny
Last night we pulled out The Money Drawer. We throw all of our loose change into a drawer at the end of the day. We've been accumulating for years, only taking out the gold coins when we're desperate. I've been worried about losing the bottom of the drawer, because it was so heavy it could hardly be pulled out anymore.

Coin Drawer

At our bank, they want you to count out the coins and put them into bags before you bring them in. So we watched Wipeout and sorted coins until we ran out of bags. What you see below is $1000 in $1, $2 or 50¢ coins. One THOUSAND dollars. In CHANGE. That was sitting in a drawer in our house.

$1000 in Coins

And that's not even all of it. We have a ton more $1 coins. And then there's all of the 20¢, 10¢, & 5¢ coins to go. I'd bet there's at least another $500 at least. I feel a bit like someone with a mattress full of cash, but it's a nice little stash to deposit right before we go on holidays!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Firstly, love.love.love the tile flooring.
Secondly, it's pretty impressive how much money you two have gathered like little squirrels :) Evey was sitting next to me when she saw all of your coins. She yelled out "mommy look at all of those money coins! I wish I had all of those money coins in my piggy bank." Teehee!

6:00 AM  

Post a comment