Sunday, July 20, 2008

We Got Wheels!
Three years ago I left my last car in Nashville and rode back to Iowa in a moving truck with my folks. And yesterday we finally replaced it.

We've been talking about how we should have a car by the time my parents get here just so that it's easier to get them around. We'll still use public transport, but it's nice to have the option of getting away to some place that isn't necessarily on a train line.

We, being who we are, however, hadn't really done much looking at cars. We sort of had our hearts set on at least test-driving a Swift. But then the soccer mom in me started leaning towards a CRV. This was all virtual searching though.

Then yesterday, we had gotten back from our McAmerica trip, and Hans's brother came to the door with a flyer describing this Mitsubishi Colt. A test drive and some smooth talking later, we had the guy down to our price range with a 3-year warranty. Next thing we know, we're signing papers.

Of course, neither of us can legally drive it yet, but I'm guessing I should do something about that this week. Eeep! I need so much practice. I've driven my in-law's car down the street to the grocery store, but I've managed to avoid all roundabouts thus far. I'm freaking out, but it will be okay.

It's kind of cute in that ugly sort of way, which is totally our style. It's amazingly roomy, and it'll be great for hauling band gear around. I'm excited.

Ocean Moonrises
Then last night we went down to the Gold Coast for dinner. Someone had recommended Matsuzaka to us for the Teppanyaki (where the table is around a chef who cooks for you), and I'm recommending it to you. Be sure to request Chef Phil. He is personable and really made the experience enjoyable.

So enjoyable that I completely overate and was miserable well into the night. But it was so delicious. We had chicken and beef and fried rice and scallops, prawns & I tried morton bay bugs for the first time. I'm not a huge seafood fan, but the sauce they put on the bugs was incredible. We nearly licked our plates.

Another special moment for the night was when we were walking to the restaurant along the shore. The huge orange moon was just coming up and reflecting over the ocean. There have not been many opportunities for this Iowa girl to see such a magnificent sight, and I almost didn't want to go inside just to savour a few extra moments.

In Other News
I'm completely addicted to the Pack Rat game on Facebook. Let me know if you want an invite!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Jul 20 2008, 02:42 am
Oh my goodnesssss!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited about the car!!!! Hurry up and get your licence sorted out so you can come over to our house :DDDDDD

alyda

8:24 PM  

Jul 20 2008, 11:27 am
I love my CR-V.
I'm excited for you! Now go get legal to drive.
I told you Packrat would be addicting!

8:25 PM  

Aug 06 2008, 02:57 pm
What a great couple of days you guys had. No pictures of the moon? You need to take your new camera with you every where! You never know when you'll come across something truly fantastic.

8:25 PM  

Post a comment