Wednesday, July 02, 2008

A Bit on the Homesick Side
It's weird. My great-uncle from California passed away last week. They are having the funeral in Iowa tomorrow. I only saw them once a year at most. I can't remember having any one-on-one conversations with him. And if I were in Nashville, I probably wouldn't be going home for the funeral unless I had already planned on being home for the 4th.

So why is my grief crippling me today?

Maybe it has to do with getting information like this in casual "oh by the way, has anyone told you yet" emails. Maybe it's the realization that it's only a matter of time before it's Grandma or even someone younger. Bleh.

Linky Links
More expats to peruse:
* Suzer's Expat Adventures
* A Girl Named Supermindy
* Florida Girl in Sydney

I'm pretty sure that I got this link from one of the above. A Year of Crockpotting - someone who is using their crockpot to cook every day this year. (Allison & Steve, I think we all need to try some of these recipes and share the good ones!)

McYum!
This past Saturday we had what I consider to be one of my all-time favourite days in recent history. We had a bit of a sleep in, which is one of my greatest pastimes. But then we hurried to get ready so that we could walk down to McDonalds before they changed their breakfast menu.

The goal was to have the limited edition McAmerica. I may have completely lost my taste for what American bagels are supposed to be like, but this was the closest I have come to bagel perfection in the longest time. The taste, and, more importantly, the texture were EXACTLY what I was looking for in a bagel.

I'm in love with a breakfast sandwich, people. One that I will love until it goes away on August 5.

We then walked past the shops to pick up some food to get us through the weekend and had a lazy stroll back home. It was so glorious outside and getting a little exercise really recharged me.

After we got home, we spent pretty much every last minute of the day playing Lego: Indiana Jones. Freaking awesome. And we're finally getting some use out of the world's most expensive dvd player.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Jul 02 2008, 06:30 am
To be fair, isn't it one of the world's most affordable Blueray players?

8:32 PM  

Jul 02 2008, 08:31 pm
Haha, so true. There is a bright side.

8:32 PM  

Jul 02 2008, 09:58 pm
Hi-- It is really bizarre how difficult it is to find a bagel here, right? strange.
So where in Australia are you?
Love your blog!

8:33 PM  

Jul 03 2008, 07:45 am


Hey Danielle -

I think death is an upleasant reminder that life is impermanent, and when someone you know passes away, there's a natural desire to be near the ones you love and to enjoy them for as long as you can. It's a great comfort to be surrounded by love. I hope that your grief is soon tempered by joy again. :o)

-Aimee

8:33 PM  

Jul 04 2008, 07:18 am
i had to check the comments, because the mention of the ps3 pretty much guaranteed a comment from my husband.
can't wait to check out those links...you always have the best ones. :)

8:33 PM  

Jul 10 2008, 08:32 pm
Yeah, you're totally right, Aimee. Thanks so much. (And it's a wonder what new shoes can do for one's general attitude on life!)

8:34 PM  

Post a comment