Friday, March 14, 2008

Food for Thought (& Food)
I came back to my desk after lunch and found a present on my chair from my very sweet, very naughty husband. It is a sort of book/cookbook called Maggie's Harvest by Maggie Beer. I had been admiring it a few weeks ago, because the book itself is just beautiful. The fabric cover, the teal and orange embroidery, the overall girth, the heirloom potential... it was so ME. (Make sure you look at this review with its gorgeous photos of the book.)

One look at the price tag, however, and I had exactly one hundred and twenty-five reasons not to need it anymore. (The cover will just get dirty in a kitchen... who has room for a 736-page book these days... etc.)

But now it's mine, and I can't wait to spend all day tomorrow out on the Adirondack thumbing through it with my baby chicken chirping at me. I'm excited, because she is an Australian cook, even though Australian food isn't SO different from American food (despite the obvious kangaroo meat, general blandness, and bacon on everything). I'm interested on her take on food, because she writes about the ingredients and the recipes instead of just rattling off recipes.

I don't know. I'm into food these days. I even got an "ooo-la-la" in response to my white truffle popcorn we had for the Project Runway Finale Party.

Speaking of Good Food
I know not many of you dear readers are Brisbanites, but may I recommend Tongue & Groove in West End. Hans had a show there on Wednesday, so we grabbed a bite to eat between set-up and show. Granted, they did lose our order so we were good and hungry by the time food came, but while others might have been perturbed, we weren't in a hurry. Plus they gave us some risotto balls when they realized the error.

I have seriously been thinking about the pumpkin & risotto tortellini for the past two days. (And I only swiped a couple off of Hans's plate.) I had the chicken salad, which was AMAZING with its sundried tomatoes, pinenuts, brie & dijon thyme dressing. I haven't craved going back to a restaurant this much since Mama Carolla's. (And y'all know how much I miss my Mama's!)

It's good. Can't wait to go back. The potato wedge-like things were great too. Yum.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Mar 24 2008, 04:37 pm
OooOoo... I am so happy you posted the link to "not your run of the mill" ( white truffle ) popcorn recipes. I think I'll try the bacon-cheddar version. Yumms.
I took Jay to Mama Carolla's in Broad Ripple when we first started dating. It was perfect from the food to the intimate atmosphere. We were actually talking about going there a few weeks back. You're more than welcome to come with :)

10:13 PM  

Post a comment