Saturday, January 26, 2008

Australia Day Today
I asked around about the significance of Australia Day, but no one could give me an answer without googling. It's the anniversary of the first European settlement here, and I only knew that because I'm re-reading Bill Bryson's Down Under. (I am finding it infinitely more hilarious now than when I first read it six years ago when it was called In a Sunburned Country (American Version). Any expats here who haven't read it, really should. The first chapter is online.)

As far as traditions, it seems to be all about the Aussie concept of the barbecue and also listening to Triple J's Hottest 100, though there apparently are fireworks for those interested.

So we're going into the valley in a couple hours. Hans and the guys have a show... at 4:00 of all times... and then we'll probably just make our way home, unless someone really tries to convince us to go to the free Josh Pyke concert.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a comment