Wednesday, December 19, 2007

More Christmas Whinging
It's the heat. Christmas is not supposed to be hot. "Christmas in July" is a cute little way to rouse up sales in American summer, but seriously think about moving all your Christmas traditions to the hottest time of the year.

What I have always loved about the holidays is the coziness of it all. Curling up on the couch with a fuzzy blanket watching movies with Dad. Spending all day in the kitchen cooking with Mom and sipping apple cider when there is a break. Watching the snow fall around the street lights, and maybe tossing a handful at a sibling.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to keep my chocolate from melting. The last thing I want to do is turn on the oven for any reason to contribute to the heat. Even candles add to the sizzle. (But I'm going to be burning my pine-smelling candle anyway.)

All this to say that I decided if I can't be IN the cold, at least I can make it LOOK like I am. It started when I found the little stuffed snowman that Chris & Marj gave me during my first Christmas season here when I lived with them.

Then I saw these:
♥ Yarn snowballs... cutest photo foundhere. (She also made the cutest bag out of an old suit jacket, and I'm totally stealing that idea.)
♥ Here is a different take on that idea here with yarn ornaments. Not nearly as cute, but I like the idea of hanging them too. (Will have to check out the rest of that Simply Green site for lots of reuse/recycle ideas.)
♥ We've all made paper snowflakes before, but I've never seen any like these. I might have a play with some of my scrapbooking paper this afternoon and try those.

UPDATE THURSDAY AM:
Without a Michael's or Hobby Lobby within a gazillion miles (*sigh*), I had to run to the cheapie shop up the street where I did find styrofoam balls and then raided MIL's yarn stash. The fuzziest white I could find was of the "feather" variety, which is apparently the bane of knitters everywhere. But it worked out sufficiently for this year.


(Hastily snapped photo this morning.)


The final display isn't done. Made a couple non-trad coloured snowballs to match the baubles on the tree, but they may go. Had a long string of giant faux-pearls, but they look more like hailstones. :)

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Dec 20 2007, 11:02 am

I wish I could teleport you here for a few hours. The snow is still on the ground and there is a potential of falling on black ice. Fun times.

12:14 PM  

Dec 20 2007, 03:06 pm

Hey, I think you may have found one of the acceptable uses for Feathers! Well done. :)

12:15 PM  

Dec 20 2007, 07:58 pm

Yeah, I know I'm glamorizing winter in my head. How quickly one forgets about the treachery and danger that comes with it. Be safe if you're driving out there!

12:16 PM  

Dec 27 2007, 10:17 pm

It gets better, hun... this is my 5th Christmas Down Under, and while it's still kinda strange to hear "let's all go to the beach" instead of "let's all bundle up and have a nice hot cocoa", I'm actually starting to get used to the whole hot Christmas thing. The bbq's, the seafood, swimming and cranking on the aircon. To quote a good friend of mine, "holidays are celebrated differently all around the world, but in the end it's whatever you make of it" and hopefully over time you'll start building your own family traditions. :)

All the best to you and yours in the coming New Year! :)

12:16 PM  

Post a comment