Friday, December 21, 2007

Christmas Tags

I got tagged by Tommy. He tags me now and then, and while I always have the best of intentions, I seem to be pretty slack about following through on the actually posting. Be sure to read his answers -- but wait until after you've read mine, because he's funnier than I am.

1) Link to the person that tagged you, and post the rules on your blog.
2) Share Christmas facts about yourself.
3) Tag 7 random people at the end of your post, and include links to their blogs.
4) Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.

1. Wrapping or gift bags? Wrapping. I love making pretty packages. (I just remembered one year the college group from church was having a Christmas party, and everyone was meant to bring a white elephant gift that was less than $5 or something like that. I took great care in wrapping mine -- a mixture of a couple of different natural papers, raffia and hemp ribbons, the works. It looked good and was the first one picked and was fought over. The final present stealer opened it only to find a can of spam. Loved it!)

2. Real or artificial tree? I don't even think that real trees are an option here. I have never seen them advertised. I think some people might have an evergreen in a pot (but really, aren't all trees here "ever green"?) that they might bring inside. I have my baby bunya that I haven't killed yet, but it's not strong enough to hold decorations, so I put a few baubles around the base.


But yeah, we also have the artificial tree, as seen here as I can't be bothered to repost.

3. When do you put up the tree? Tradition dictates the day after Thanksgiving, but neither of those days were holidays here. I didn't really have myself organized or in the mood to do it that weekend. Might have been a smidge depressed about being half a world away from my family. I think we finally got the tree up on the 1st.

4. When do you take the tree down? Whenever we can get up the energy to do so, but definitely before the end of January.

5. Do you like eggnog? I can't remember the last time I had eggnog. I feel like I remember my dad making it when I was a child, but I have no real recollection of the taste nor consistency.

6. Favorite gift received as a child? My doll Amy

7. Do you have a nativity scene? We don't have any spare surface area at the moment. My mom still puts out the one that my sister made in Bible school ages ago. I think that's cute.

8. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? It must have been the Christmas that I turned four. My grandparents gave me a set of firetrucks. Firetrucks! Granted my grandfather and dad are both firemen, but the reasoning was because they thought we needed some boyish toys in the house. A month and a bit later my brother came along. I blame him.

9. Mail or email Christmas cards? Ugh. I think I'm going to do a New-Year's letter instead. And it will most likely be emailed unless I pare my list down quite a bit with postage being $1.30/per for a card that people are going to throw away in a week anyway.

Though I must say, we have gotten probably six or seven Christmas letters/pictures from friends and family this year -- all from America. It's just not something they do here.

10. Favorite Christmas movie? Probably A Christmas Story. I'm going to miss TBS's marathon. Oh, and I've never seen It's a Wonderful Life nor Miracle on 34th Street, so maybe I just don't know what the cinematic world has to offer in terms of Christmas movies.

11. When do you start shopping for Christmas? I did really well this year. We got my parents' presents in Sydney last month. Everything was in the mail to America by the 5th, I think. I was finished with Hans by the 8th.

12. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? My mom's peanut brittle.

13. Clear lights or colored? Clear. (Except I got a string of snowflake-shaped lights that turned out to have blue lights in them... what the?)

14. Favorite Christmas song? "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"

15. Travel at Christmas or stay at home? Stay here... *sniff*

16. Can you name all of Santa’s reindeer? Were there nine? If so, yes.

17. Angel or star on the top of your tree? I had a leftover silver bow that ended up getting chucked up there. I think my homemade fascinator from Melbourne Cup Day has also made it to the tree.

18. Open your presents Christmas Eve or Christmas morning? Christmas Eve. Christmas morning we're opening my birthday presents.

19. Most annoying thing about this time of year? That there is no amazon.com.au.

20. What do you leave for Santa? Nothing. My parents never tried to perpetuate that myth.

21. Least favorite holiday song? "Santa Baby"... eww, eww, eww.

22. Do you decorate your tree with any specific theme or color? At the moment it's purple, lime green, & silver.

23. Favorite ornament? All of them. Hans bought the tree and the baubles as part of my getting-engaged scavenger hunt. I had just returned from New Zealand and found the tree upstairs waiting for me... and later I found him in the park waiting for me with a ring.

Tags
As for tagging others... nobody ever does it... so if you want to do it, please leave me a comment so I can go read your answers!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Dec 21 2007, 11:42 am

Thanks for playing, Danielle. Merry Christmas!

12:12 PM  

Dec 27 2007, 10:10 pm

Glad I'm not the only one who is sending out "New Years Cards" instead, LOL! I'll probably post this over at YDU and send you a link.

12:13 PM  

Post a comment