Saturday, October 06, 2007

People Suck
I'm cranky, and the people at the markets made me this way. It's hard, because as an expat, I'm perhaps overly conscious of the stereotypical opinion about Americans. So I try to do my part to show that we're not all pushy or overbearing or loud or inconsiderate or what-have-you. But today, I just couldn't believe the other people.

Hans and I were waiting patiently for a couple to leave their breakfast table so that we could have a seat. The people had barely stood when another couple literally ran in front of us and took the chairs out from underneath those departing.

I didn't even try to hide my disgust when the guy looked over at us. I suppose they could have gotten bonus points for offering to let us join them, but we were in need of four chairs as the in-laws were there with us.

Hans's mother eventually was in the right place at the right time, and we did sit for coffee. When we were through, I noticed there was a man glancing our direction. I gave the nod that is universal for "we're about to leave; you're welcome to have this table". No sooner had we stood when this loud woman came right up to Hans's dad and asked if we were leaving as she started to put her things on the table.

I cut her off and said, "Yes, but I believe that gentleman has been waiting patiently for this seat."

She took her things with a bit of attitude, but the guy seemed grateful for the intervention. My gosh. Where do these people come from and didn't their mothers teach them anything?

*grumble*

Labels:

3 Comments:

Oct 06 2007, 02:50 am

Alison and I have noted this sort of behavior from the locals as well. I heard once that Australians hate to queue up for anything. There really doesn't seem to be a cultural first-come first-served mindset here. Am I just becoming a cranky old man, or am I on to something?

2:08 PM  

Oct 06 2007, 09:54 am

You said you were waiting for breakfast? Maybe they just didn't have their coffee yet. You've been known to get a tad cranky before your first cup in the morning. I've seen it, and it's not pretty. Hans, back me up.
:-)

2:08 PM  

Oct 09 2007, 03:31 am

Yeah, I think you're right, Brett. But then I think about it, and I don't think that the people I associate with are particularly rude in that regard. So I'm not sure it's everyone either.

Funny, Manda. Funny. Ha. Ha.

2:09 PM  

Post a comment