Monday, August 13, 2007

Go Blue Tongues!
I have figured out where to find North Americans on the weekends. Much to the surprise of pretty much everyone I know, Brisbane has an ice hockey team called the Brisbane Blue Tongues. (I had to specify "ice hockey", because the average Australian mind defaults to field hockey if one just says "hockey". Pttht... I KNOW.)

At just $8 a ticket, this was the cheapest event I have dragged people to. I was quite impressed with our group of seven including family and extended family. All ice hockey virgins.

Now, I wasn't expecting it to be quite up to Predators standards, but it really did feel a little amateur. Even the college rink in my hometown has glass instead of a giant net surrounding the entire rink.

But we made the best of it. I did my best to convey my less-than-expert knowledge on to the rest. Dan & Lis brought along these Kabluey lollies that turn your whole mouth blue. So we got to show off our blue tongues to the Sydney team who were sitting just in front of us.

Even so, they lost. But I had a good time, at least. We were sitting next to a bunch of Canadians, and I heard at least two families with American accents in the lobby. It just felt very normal in a weird way.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Aug 13 2007, 07:20 am

Super cool! Are there any NHL has-beens or never-were's on the team? The way the Bruins have been playing the last few years, do you think they would be competitive in the Aussie league? Unfortunately, I note that Perth does not have a team. Guess I'm stuck with cricket and footy.

3:24 PM  

Aug 13 2007, 08:16 am

you look like you just made out with a smurf.
:-)

3:24 PM  

Aug 14 2007, 04:02 am

WHERE DID YOU BUY THE CANDIES! PLEASE HELP ME FIND THEM!!

3:24 PM  

Aug 14 2007, 10:45 pm

I'm not sure on the candy -- but I can find out. All I know is they said it is some sort of confectionery outlet, and not only did they get the Kablueys, but they also brought me three packets of Reece's Peanut Butter cups. JOY!

3:24 PM  

Post a comment