Monday, September 04, 2006

Veg Out
Today we went to the Brisbane Market with Hans's parents. We heard you could get some bargains on fresh produce there, so we thought we'd see how much we could save. I think we spent $35 and now we have more fresh food than I know what to do with. Seriously.


We've got:
  • a huge sack of potatoes
  • a head of broccoli
  • a bag of brussel sprouts (I know! They're not bad, actually.)
  • a bag of carrots
  • three bunches of asparagus
  • a gigantic head of napa cabbage
  • half a produce bag of beans
  • half a produce bag of snow peas
  • half dozen yellow onions
  • a bunch of green onions
  • a couple stems of red grapes
  • four gorgeous big red tomatoes
  • a butternut squash
  • six avocados
  • two zucchini
  • two cucumbers
  • four little yellow squashes
  • a bag of baby spinach
  • a bag of rocket (I'd never heard of it called that until I got here, but it's a lettuce-type of thing that's shaped kind of like dandelion leaves. Sort of.)
  • three cobs of corn
  • six apples
  • 250g bag of slivered almonds
  • and I bought a PLANT!
That's right. If you know anything about me, you know that I kill plants. Not because I don't love them. Mostly because I don't really water them. But the guy said that this one doesn't really need water in the winter and can live without much in the summer. It's called a desert rose.


That picture is from one that was four years old. (And $50.) But we got a little sprout bulb-like one for $5, and I've got my fingers crossed that it lives to flower.

Unconscious Mutterings
1. Wiggle :: Fruit Salad, Yummy, Yummy
2. Face :: plate
3. Adjustable :: strap
4. Room :: Rooms to Go
5. Easy :: Peasy
6. Store :: Walmart
7. Maid :: Maid-Rite
8. 9 pm :: Uhh...
9. Challenge :: space shuttle
10. Debt :: Collector

Riverfire
If there's one thing that can be said about Brisbanites, it is that they sure are FESTIVE. Yet another festival has begun here, and this time it is the River Festival... uhh, celebrating the Brisbane River? I dont' know.

But anyway, Saturday night I was getting dinner before the show in the Valley. We thought we might be able to see some of the fireworks from Riverfire over the buildings. Lisa also reminded us that there was going to be a jet flyover with a burn-out thing. Okay fine.

So we're just sitting down to eat, and all of a sudden there's firetrucks with their sirens blaring coming down the street. Next thing we know there was a loud explosion-type sound, and the sky lit up. It was a bit scary, and I think there was a collective crapping-in-the-pants by everyone who was outside. Even though we all knew it was coming, the jets still startled us. I heard more than one person reference 9|11 in conversations afterwards. We were under an awning and couldn't really see it, but there have been some great reader photos sent in to the newspaper.

0 Comments:

Post a comment