Sunday, September 10, 2006

One Last Steve Post
We went to the Australia Zoo yesterday with my brother- & sister-in-law. I mentioned earlier in the week that I wanted to go, just because it's rare to have the opportunity to pay tribute in person when the world is mourning the loss of someone. Lisa runs a childcare centre, so she had her kids make cards as well. And we took them all out to hang up on the fence outside the entrance.

billboard3k

sign400m

people1

ourcards5

We had to park at the "Australia Zoo 400m" sign, and other cars were pulling in behind us. There were probably 100 people there outside the entrance reading the signs and cards. There were a few children that I saw, but most of the people were adults. The zoo staff had khaki shirts on a table that people could sign. There was a sea of flowers on both sides of the entrance. It was really touching.

tributes10

tributes7

tributes8

tributes9

tributes11

It was an indescribable feeling. I'll reluctantly admit that I cried as I was going to sleep last night. Just thinking of Terri and the children... and having a weird empathy. It suddenly hit home -- I'm all the way over here, and if anything ever happened to Hans... I have no idea what I would do or how I could possibly cope.

hadsteve

There are more of my Australia Zoo pictures here.

2 Comments:

Sep 10 2006, 10:12 pm

So sad, :( His poor kids missed out on such a wacky cool Dad. His poor wife too, she must be going through so much right now.

1:15 PM  

Sep 12 2006, 07:47 am

Thanks for visiting my site and leaving a comment.

And those tributes? OMG. How wonderful and how sad. Make me cry.

Thanks for posting the pics.

1:16 PM  

Post a comment