Monday, August 07, 2006

In the Words of Taylor Dayne... Prove Your Love
More adventures in the world of visa applications. When applying for a spouse visa, you're required to submit evidence of a continuing and lasting relationship.

Just think about that for a minute.

Those of you who are IN a continuing and lasting relationship, how would YOU go about proving this? And then ask yourself, if you would happen to have this "evidence", is this something that you want a complete stranger, or team of strangers, seeing/reading?

Now Hans and I lived in different countries for nearly 3 of the 4.5 years we've known each other. This cuts down on the photographic evidence, but certainly upped the electronic correspondence factor. Problem being that I left my computer in the States, and he's had a crash or two, and so the past emails are limited. He has printed out 46 of about 250, but I feel like I want to edit them. The problem is that the stuff I don't want people to read is the stuff that proves we love each other. Ugh.

So yeah, that's what I've been up to. Printing out instant message logs, requesting phone records from long distance companies (First Communications have the BEST customer service EVER), and photos from the past year.

Lost in Translation: Food Edition
tasty (tayst-ee)
n. cheese
adj. cheese variety
"Put some tasty on top and bake it in the oven for 20 minutes."

I can't quite put my finger on what the American equivalent of tasty cheese might be, but it's white and might be close to a mild cheddar.

Our State Fair is a Great State Fair
The Ekka starts this week. I forget what it means again... I think "ekka" is the typical Aussie shortening of someword, "exhibition" perhaps? But I've been told it's similar to the midwestern state fair concept. People even get a day off work for it. I think we're going next week, but I'm excited -- something to look forward to!

She's Crafty
Goodness, I've got more to say than I thought I did. In the middle of trying to get my crap together so that I don't get deported, I'm also taking up a new hobby. Screenprinting. Well, maybe. I'm going to attempt this great DIY screenprinting method in order to make some merch for Hans's next show in three weeks.

The stinky part is that I don't know where to find any supplies. Where are my Michaels and Hobby Lobbys when I need them.

The good news is that I found some screenprinting paint at an art store for $20/each. I also found one single solitary bottle of Modge Podge at Spotlight. I'll let you know how it goes.

I've also been looking for a button maker, but apparently Tash owns the only one in the Southern Hemisphere. Does Sola Fida do merch? :)

Eight Einsteins
Saturday night we went to a trivia night with Dan & Lisa that was a fundraiser put on by Dan's work to help raise funds for Chris Scott. He is a paralympic bicyclist. The goal was to raise $3500 to help him purchase a new bike. At the end of the night, they reported that we raised over $6500.

We were on a team with some really fun people who weren't very competetive at all. It was great. We called ourselves the Eight Einsteins, but it proved to be a curse. We came fourth to last, but we had fun in the process. We also won the table decorating contest... designed by the artist Hans. We kicked butt in the Name that Tune category... but with categories like Australian geography, Queensland history, and World Cup Soccer, yeah, I wasn't much help.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Aug 06 2006, 07:48 pm

I love all your lost in translations. So interesting!!

2:51 PM  

Aug 06 2006, 11:13 pm

sola fida TOTALLY does merch girly.
i only insist that you have to come and visit.. nah seriously .. send me the files, tell me how many.

2:51 PM  

Aug 17 2006, 08:28 am

Hey there, I just found your blog. I'm also an American living in Australia, moved here 2 years ago married an Aussie and went through the spouse visa process ...so I totally know what you're going through. Don't worry, it WILL work out! :) Great pics too! Congrats on your marriage!

2:51 PM  

Post a comment