Thursday, September 22, 2005

G'day Y'all
I made it! I experienced Salt Lake City (albeit briefly) for the first time. I had no idea how beautiful that area of the country is, at least from the sky. Nothing too exciting to report about the actual trip, except to say that from the time that I left my parents' house to the time I got to the house here, it was over 30 hours.

Oh! And because I flew Qantas for the long 16-hour overseas flight, I had my own monitor in the back of the seat ahead of me, so I got to pick and choose what I wanted to watch. Before I went to sleep, I ended up watching an episode of Mythbusters and then some scientific program on the eruption of Krakatoa and the tsunami that happened as a result. I was next to a window and had an empty seat next to me, so I was able to get a little sleep with various body contortions. In the morning, I watched Millions, which was kind of cute and featured music by Muse during the explanation scene.

I touched down briefly in Auckland and hated that my address book was in my checked luggage, though 5:15 felt a little early to give Tash a call.

Of course, Hans was right outside of customs waiting for me when I got here. Also along were Marj (who I live with and who was videotaping the whole thing, gah) and Hans' parents (who I knew were going to be there, which added an extra amount of nervousness, it being the first time we met).

Familiar Unfamiliarity
So basically I just feel weird now. I'm too tired to be emotional about the whole situation. It's just a bit surreal that this is where I'm going to be for who-knows-how-long.

Because I was here last year, I already have some concept of where I am and what I'm doing. So that's nice. (We're in a northern suburb, but you can see how close we are to the ocean as well.)

We fought my urge to nap yesterday in order to help get over the jetlag. So we went for a couple of walks around the neighborhood; I had my first flat white, mmm; and we watched some Wild West. Last night some friends came over to greet me, and it was just all very nice. I finally crashed at 9pm and only woke up once in the middle of the night.

I have taken some photos on the mondo digicam that I inherited from Manda, but I forgot the card reader, so they'll have to wait.

Lost in Translation
In the spirit of Leslie's Hawaiian Word of the Post, I thought I'd provide you with a little Australian. (And you thought they spoke English, pttht!)

unco (un'-ko)
adj. uncoordinated, lacking grace or agility
"My brother thinks he's really unco and doesn't want to take dance lessons."

Anyway, I have to go unpack and iron my clothes. Then tonight I guess we're going to a showing of the shortfilm that Hans worked on. Wheee.

0 Comments:

Post a comment