Friday, October 01, 2004

Danielle's 3 Rules for Being a Cool Adult
1. Suck it up and buy the $2 candy bar, the $5 square of wrapping paper, or the $12 bucket of yucky cookie dough. It's not about you.

2. Always stop for lemonade stands. Go back around the block if you didn't spy it in time on your first pass. And, of course, always tip.

3. Be sure to wave to the kids in the backseat of the schoolbus you are following. Make funny faces if you dare be so bold and juvenile. Never scowl or be a jerk.

Mount St. Helens Volcano Cam: You'll want to know where that is when she blows her top one of these days.

Survivor Orange Magnolia
1. Will RC and IC be combined or separate tonight? Combined
2. Who wins the Reward Challenge? The immunity is the reward
3. There are two Tribal Councils this week. Who goes to TC first? Lopevi
4. The promo has Jeff saying there is a twist this week. What is it? Double TC / Individual immunities within tribes
5. Who wins Immunity? Regardless of how it's won/assigned. Chad & Leann
6. Which two players have the first argument? Lisa & Leann
7. Who are the two booted players at TC? Name two - any two - one point for each correct choice. Eliza & JohnP
8. Will it rain during the show tonight? Yes
9. Will they show the volcano during the show (not including intro)? Yes
10. Will someone cry during the show? No

Danielle's Bonus Question:
Will they have to bleep out any cusswords? Yes

And I'm Supposed to Care Because.....
I need to rant, because I had another one of those phonecalls this morning.

Yes, I may be the person who most often answers the phone around here, but that is usually because I'm the only one actually in the office. The biggest mistake anyone can make is to get on their proverbial high horse and start treating me like a secretary. (No offense to the people out there who consider themselves to be secretaries... but honestly, you shouldn't let people treat you like one either.)

I don't schedule anyone's meetings. I don't pick up anybody's dry-cleaning. I may go pick up lunch, but that's my 30-minute escape walk for the midday.

However if I happen to be the one who answers the phone, they need to consider the fact that they are now speaking to The Doorway. I can get you in... but I can also shut you out. I also have a low tolerance for industry people who think that everyone should kowtow to them at the sound of their names.

The Call
Him: This is [peon]. I have [bigshot] on the phone for [Bossman].
Me: He's not available. He's actually on his way out of town. Can I take a message?
Him: Can we try him on his cellphone?
Me: I believe he's on a flight right now.
Him: Well can we try?
Me: (thinking: "you must be daft") ...
Him: Or should I leave a message?
Me: I can take a message.
Him: Tell him [bigshot] called. [rattles off phone number]
Me: [bigshot]?
Him: Yes.
Me: And can I tell him what this is regarding?
Him: [bigshot] is the co-chairman of [big label].
Me: (thinking "and that's what you wanted to talk to him about?") Okay, I'll let him know.

Little does [peon] or [bigshot] know, but they are about fourth in line when it comes to big labels calling us these days.

0 Comments:

Post a comment