Thursday, November 06, 2003

More on Forced Creativity
So, as you can see, when I got finished whining last night, I went on and cranked out a few more paragraphs of complete nonsense. I didn't get my full 1667 for the day, but I'm still 439 words over pace due to some extras I had left over from Monday.

Then today, by total chance, I happened to come across this: Being An Account of the Life and Death of the Emperor Heliogabolous, a 24-hour comic by Neil Gaiman.

The rules of the 24-hour comic were "to write, draw, letter (and I suppose if you've got time left over, colour and set to music) a 24-page comic in 24 hours. No preliminary work. No plotting, sketching, roughing. Nothing. The clock starts tick at hour 1, minute 1. Just 24 hours to create a 24 page story." He only got 13 pages done, but I am starting to see the validity of forcing yourself to purge something creative.

Get Off the Phone Already
I don't hate cellphones as much as I hate people who use them. No lie. Yesterday I was in the post office waiting in this huge line. The woman in front of me was talking on her phone like she was sitting in her living room or something. Just going on and on at a completely unreasonable volume level. Talking about some video shoot she was at for this 12-year-old phenom named Ashley, and there were eight other children in the video with all these costume changes and blahblahblah. Then she went on to say how she stayed home from work that morning to catch up on the housework and went on and on. Even when she got to the counter, she put her crate of packages on the counter, said "media mail" to the lady, and went back to her phone telling about how she bought furniture for the living room and how she hoped it would be there before Thanksgiving.

In the meantime, the rest of us are looking at each other in disbelief. The guy behind me mumbled, "Get off the phone already."

When the other postal lady was free, I went to give her my envelopes with a grin. It was all she could do to keep from laughing. It was that ridiculous.

I went to check the PO Box, and the guy who was in line behind me was walking out the door at the same time as me. "So she got f*&#ing furniture. Who cares?!" he said. Then he held the door open for me and bid me goodnight.

Icy Tunes
And because I know everyone, like me, is concerned about all things Icelandic in the music world, I am sure you will be excited to hear that Mum have begun recording a new album and there is also a new website with cute little legged boxes. Speaking of new websites, there is a new extremely extensive unofficial Sigur Ros site with darn near everything you'd ever want to know regarding their music... or say, icelandic tourism.

Pats on the Back for Me
I'm all about positive reinforcement. And yesterday a guy from Colorado called me to tell me that he liked what I had done with one of our clients' website. I especially appreciated his thoughtfulness because the particular thing he was talknig about was such a total pain in the patootie to get organized and up there. So it's nice to know that at least one person saw it.

Little Trees
You know those Little Trees air fresheners for your car? Did you have any idea that they come in almost 50 different scents?? I find that outrageous. Who knew? Of course, my car has the Blueberry Muffin (Stawberry Shortcake's pal) air freshener I got from "Santa" last year. It doesn't smell so much now.

Go in My Stead
How could I not have heard about this before? How can I possibly already have plans for those two nights? Béla Fleck is playing the debut of the Concerto for Banjo and Double Bass with the Nashville Symphony this weekend. I've been in awe of his talent ever since I met him last year. Oh well.

0 Comments:

Post a comment