Saturday, October 11, 2003

Cleaning Machine
Yesterday Recah rented a carpet cleaning machine to try to get up some of the dirt in their new apartment. So last night, I used it to clean the downstairs stairs and the living room carpets which were really gungy. (I don't know if "gungy" is a real word or if it's a dutch cross-over word I heard growing up.) I could not believe the grossness that was in the discard water! I'm almost tempted to believe that the cleaning solution does some sort of chemical reaction when you mix it with water that makes it turn black -- otherwise I have to believe that all that gook was in the carpet that I sit on.

I brought the machine back to her last night. We split the cost of the rental and divvied up the cost of the solution that we each used -- and I got away with sweet, clean carpets for $10. Sharing the machine is defintitely the way to go, because who honestly is going to use the thing for 24 full hours anyway? That's my thrifty word to the wise for you today.

Friday Five
1. Do you watch sports? If so, which ones?

Nothing with any sort of regularity. Hockey, if anything.

2. What/who are your favorite sports teams and/or favorite athletes?
I'll go with the Preds on that one. Steve Kerr was always my favourite basketball player.

3. Are there any sports you hate?
I'm too apathetic about sports to actually care enough to hate any of them.

4. Have you ever been to a sports event?
Yes, mostly hockey... though I did get free tickets to a Pacers v. Raptors game when I was in Indy.

5. Do/did you play any sports (in school or other)? How long did you play?
I think I played T-ball for a few years way back in the day. I don't think it would surprise anyone for me to say that I'm not really the athlete-type.

"Straight Dope... Fighting Ignorance Since 1973 (It's Taking Longer Than We Thought)" What a great tag line, and it's a fun little time waster site too. I particularly liked the last paragraph on the page asking what "dangers of disease" do hot-air hand dryers prevent.

"Your chances of catching something from a cloth towel--or from 'paper towel litter,' if you're in the habit of rooting around in it and wiping it all over yourself--are so remote as to be practically negligible... Of course, if a person with some monstrous infection just happened to precede you into the rest room, and just happened to dry his or her hands without bothering to wash them first, and thereby just happened to deposit a huge dollop of virulent pus on the very section of the towel that you just happened to use to dry the area around a gaping wound that you just happened to have, you would probably keel over and croak in about 12 seconds flat, so don't say I didn't warn you."

Now that's funny, people.

Song for the Day
Bliss
- Muse
~Everything about you is how I'd wanna be
Your freedom comes naturally
Everything about you resonates happiness
Now I won't settle for less~

0 Comments:

Post a comment