Monday, August 25, 2003

Don't Cry for Me
Every once in a while I'm surprised about how old I am. It's just sort of something I take for granted. Not a whole lot of thought put into that one. I guess what actually surprises me is how long ago things happened that I actually remember. I can honestly remember things from 20 years ago, and to say that makes me feel old or something.

So yeah, my grandpa died fifteen years ago today. I don't need any condolences... I'm not feeling particularly sad. Just pensive. Just thinking about how I remember like it was yesterday, but I see through different eyes now. Back then I didn't realize what a horrible thing cancer could be. I also didn't realize just how many people have felt the same pain as a result of it. (At that age, it's pretty egocentric -- why did my grandpa have to get cancer? -- whereas now I know that it's almost everyone's grandpa or grandma or dad or mom or some loved one.) And I didn't realize how many more times that dreaded disease would creep up on another loved one.

I heard one time that a kiss on the forehead means that you are adored. Now whether the forehead-kissers always adore the forehead-kissees can be debated... but I like to think that is true. Because that's how I remember him. Always ready with a hug and a kiss on the forehead whenever we would meet.

Sisters: What We Talk About
On a lighter note, yesterday my sister caught me online, and this is an excerpt from our IM session:
Sis: your neice has gone #2 in her potty 3 times today!!YEAH!!
Me: wow -- she's such a big girl!
Sis: we've been working with the potty all summer , but today is the first time she's been telling us before #2
Me: wheeee
Me: do babies really poop that much?
Sis: I was just listening to something on the radio this week about how when we are babies we poop after every meal--and as we get older the crap we eat slows that down to once or twice a day

Lord knows why I felt the need to confirm her theory on baby poop -- she is far more an expert than I... but I came across this hilarious article: Let's Talk about Poop. That's enough to make me not think about having children for a good long time.

Then I just had to link this because I couldn't believe it was for real: The Poop Report.

And speaking of death and children, here is the most morbid way to learn the alphabet. That was probably tasteless. Sorry. (I found that over at tj.hanton.net, which also happens to be a pretty good read.)

0 Comments:

Post a comment