Wednesday, April 02, 2003

I didn't have time to post yesterday -- work duties prevailed... but now, without further ado, I present... Danielle's Weekend in New Orleans Recap:

Our Goals for the Weekend
1. See an above-ground cemetery. (Danielle)
2. Eat authentic cajun. (Michael)
3. Be completely consumed and mezmerized by Sigur Rós. (Danielle, Michael, Darren, Adam, Paul, Deanna, Dave, Becca, Jason, Brianna)
Mission Accomplished!

1275 miles later... we are back to Nashville. I love (to visit) New Orleans. I probably would not ever want to live there... but it really lived up to my expectations. As has become roadtrip tradition, we made a documentary of sorts with Michael's video camera. (I have yet to see the footage from the Greensboro trip, but that was good too.) Eventually it will all be edited together as The Misadventures of Michael and Danielle.

Due to some technical difficulties with Amerigo, we decided to just rent a car in the end. So we were cruising in a little white Malibu. (From Avis... I have to plug them, because they were so much more accomodating when it came to our need to leave the state. Unlimited mileage... weekend rate... plus a free upgrade coupon. Enterprise was going to charge us 35 cents per mile to take out of state... umm, yeah right!)

Making really good time, we got to Long Beach around 2:45 AM. Crashed at Adam's parent's house. Saturday morning we were greeted with wake-up calls from their two gigantic rottweilers. (huge... not kidding. Gable comes up to my waist and could bowl me over no problem.) Adam's dad made his famous steaks for us for lunch... delish! Then we headed to the city.

Not knowing much about New Orleans outside of the Mardi-Gras atmosphere, I had no real pre-conception of what the place would be like... except that I always wanted to see an above-ground cemetery. (I have a thing for cemeteries... call me crazy, but I think there is a peaceful beauty to them.)

We were driving down the 10 when all of a sudden I spotted tombs on either side. It was so beautiful... I nearly cried. Jason & Brianna took us to Metairie Cemetery to have a look around. It was everything I could have hoped for... so beautiful. Plus it was overcast, so I think my photos will turn out great. There are apparently a handful of famous people buried there. (I think I only saw that of Richard Taylor.) And this is an interesting tale about the Moriarty momument. (Which we saw.)
Goal #1 -- Check.

It started to rain, so we went to pick up Adam and headed to the French Quarter where we met Darren at Virgin. We walked all over and then went for dinner at Acme Oyster House... where I had a side of red beans & rice, a side of jambalaya, and some incredible hush puppies. Brianna got crawfish so that I could sample one. (I've determined that I'm not a fan... and they've been dubbed the "cockroaches of the sea".)
Goal #2 -- Check.

Then we went to House of Blues where we met up with Paul, Deanna, Dave & Rebecca. I can hardly talk about the show; it was so amazing. The Album Leaf opened. And Sigur Rós... well, I cannot begin to describe how intense it was. There was so much passion and emotion. It was truly amazing. (Plus they did some really cool work with backlighting which made it even more incredible.)
Goal #3 -- Check.

Unfortunately, Adam's experience was tainted by nearly being puked on twice... and I was near the path that everyone was using to get through the crowd, which meant that I got a few elbows in the kidneys, etc... but Brianna and I sat on the bar for the encore which gave us a perfect view. (And thanks to the random guy who helped me jump down afterwards so I wouldn't knock anybody over or turn an ankle in the process.)

Here is what someone else thought of the show: "Sigur Ros is THE MOST AMAZING BAND I HAVE EVER SEEN! EVER! Their set was so completely breathtaking."

Afterwards, Michael, Darren, Adam, Jason, Brianna, Jonathan, Roddy, and I went to Cafe du Monde for beignets and coffee. Props to Percy the waiter.

Stayed at Paul, Deanna & Darren's that night. Slept in the spare bedroom.. which is essentially a studio with a bed behind the consul. It was kind of funny.

Sunday morning we rendezvoused at Victory and hit the road. Got to Mobile in time for a good homecooked Sunday lunch with Michael's family. (His grandfather, a WWII veteran, was the most adorable thing in the world. He would tell me these random stories about the war. Quite fascinating, but I think the others were afraid I was bored by him.) We left there at 6 and were back in town by 2 something. Good times!

Other highlights:
∙ Saw a jazz band marching through the French Quarter.
∙ Got to drive across the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway twice! (It's not every day I am on a 23.9 mile bridge.)
∙ Saw lovely historic downtown Mobile.

0 Comments:

Post a comment