Wednesday, January 29, 2003

WARNING: I Tried It So You Don't Have To -- Uncle Ben's Natural Select Rice
The concept is great. The seasoning is "infused" into the rice eliminating the need for a separate, wasteful seasoning packet. Heck, I'd just be happy if they threw the powder in the same package with the rice... I never understood why they don't. But yeah, I've tried this new variety twice now... and it just does not taste good. The rice has a weird consistancy and a disturbing aftertaste. I love Uncle Ben... he's been feeding me for years. But Ben baby, you need to work on the formula for this one a little more.

In honor of the upcoming holiday:
What's Your Romantic Personality?
The Thoughtful Romantic
The brand of romance that you subscribe to is considerate and intimate. You possess a great deal of emotional intelligence. The times at which you feel most romantic include deep personal discussions with your partner. Intellectual intimacy is what it's all about for you. You're very aware of and in touch with your partner's thoughts and feelings, and you're touched when they respond to you in the same way.

Inspired by Newt.'s Recently Read List and by the discovery of other book lovers, I present my very own Recently [Within the Last Six Months or So] Read List. (To the best of my feeble memory anyway.)

Notes from a Small Island by Bill Bryson : currently reading. I'm sad that it is not my favourite, because of my history as being an anglophile. I think I may just be too distracted to read these days.
The Queens by Normand Chaurette : This is actually a script of a show that I did back in '94. I was reminded of it on New Year's Eve, because someone mentioned that the director still talks about it. "Believe me, Anne Dexter..."
Desecration by Timothy Lahaye & Jerry Jenkins : I admit it. I'm caught up in the series.
My Friend is Struggling with... Past Sexual Abuse by Josh McDowell : I hate that every fourth person I come across these days has had some sort of trauma in their childhood. It is just a little tiny paperback with some good suggestions.
Last Breath by Peter Stark : Loved it. A tad bit on the morbid side, but good nonetheless.
The Lost Continent: Travels in Small-Town American by Bill Bryson : Clever and fun reading... especially if you happen to be from Small-town America.
A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson : Contains the funniest passage (about what he would do if he encountered a bear) that I have ever read causing much laughter and near-snorting.
Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven : Did anybody not read this one?
In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson : I think this remains my Bryson Fav. I have purchased three copies now, because I kept giving them away to Aussie friends.
Shine: Make Them Wonder What You've Got by Newsboys : Okay, haven't read it from cover to cover. I read chapters randomly as my roommate would take them home after they were written.
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight by Alexandra Fuller : Beautiful memoir of a girl growing up in Southern Africa.
The Neverending Story by Michael Ende : Oh come on... you know you love the story.

Song of the Day:
Notorious - Duran Duran
~You pay the profits to justify the reasons
I heard your promise
But I don't believe it
That's why I'll do it again~

0 Comments:

Post a comment