Saturday, January 25, 2003

Ode to Dave

There is a white house across the street from my office.
That is where Dave lives.

Dave has long, salt-and-pepper colored hair and a thick gotee.
He is probably old enough to be my dad.

He works construction and gets a ride to work from one of the other guys.
I suppose carrying a tool belt and a lunchbox while riding a Harley might not be all that easy.

On rainy days, he comes home early.
On sunny days, he comes home later,
But there is always time to sit on the porch and have a beer.

Dave has an amazingly extensive classic rock collection --
Much of which is on vinyl.

Sometimes he leaves his curtains open after dark,
And one can see the shelves and shelves of records in the living room.

And he plays them loud.
So loud I can hear the bass in my office
And the treble as soon as I walk out the door.

It makes me smile as I walk to my car at 6:45
Knowing I should have left an hour earlier.

0 Comments:

Post a comment