Friday, January 31, 2003

   
Art by Elliot Sather

I realized something last night. I think I am really afraid of war.

I was talking to a friend halfway across the world who asked me if I had watched the State of the Union address the night before. I told him that I had it on, but I hadn't really listened to it. Suddenly I felt socially irresponsible, but I think he understood.

I don't watch the news anymore. (This coming from someone who used to want to be [CNN Newsanchor] Lynne Russell.) It is far too depressing.

The concept of war has really changed. Hundreds of years ago, it was a spectator sport. Socialites sat on hillsides having picnics while watching the blue and grey battle it out. These days it is not just solider against solider. One person could decide to obliterate thousands of miles of countryside (be that in Baghdad or Nashville) and everything in it on a whim... at the push of a button.

I am not afraid of dying. I just don't particularly want to.

I will pull my head out of the sand eventually, but for now please allow me be blissfully ignorant for a little while.

0 Comments:

Post a comment