Friday, December 13, 2002

Sometimes it is all about the little joys in life. Yay for unexpected phonecalls from dear friends in other hemispheres. Yay for unexpected lunch dates. Yay for clean light fixtures. (I had to change the lightbulb in the hallway this morning risking life and limb in the process. I decided to clean the glass fixture while I had it down anyway, and now it glimmers and shines like it never had before.)

Okay... enough happiness. I would like to take this opportunity to share....

Top Five Things That Annoy Me About Christmas (besides the gross commercialization... that's just a given.)
5. The Song "Santa Baby". I could live a long and happy life if I never heard that whiney, pouty, betty-boopy song ever again.
4. Tacky Yard Art. Not a big fan of yard art to begin with, people take things to extremes during the Christmas season. The phenomenon is much greater in the south. In the North, you build a snowman and throw a scarf around him. Down South, you buy a giant plastic snowman and set him up next to the giant plastic reindeer followed by the giant plastic Santa.
3. Running Lights. Tasteful lights make for a nice evening drive through the neighborhood. It's out of control when you feel like you are driving through Little Vegas.
2. Shopping. This one may not be fair, because I hate shopping anyway. But I would just rather stay at home when going to the store for toothpaste means getting pushed around by Over-eager Shopper Lady who is elbowing people as she grabs the prepackaged potpourri/candle set for little Bobby's school teacher.
1. Poinsettias. Whoever decided to designate this plant as the official mascot for December needs a beating as far as I'm concerned. I just really really hate them. I don't like the red ones. I don't like the pink ones. I really don't like the white ones. And I'm bothered by people who try to nurse them along until mid-March before they chuck them in the garbage. (Mother!) :)

In case you were wondering, here is how to be cool. That guy's Adventures of Freudy & Slip is pretty cool too.

Just when I was starting to miss The Bachelor, FOX comes out with Joe Millionaire... a reality series where the girls think they are trying to win the love of this nouveau-riche construction worker, who turns out to be just a construction worker. No million-dollar inheritance. Should be interesting.

Song of the Day:
Head Over Heels - Tears for Fears
This is my "yeah" song. My favorite part is the "yeah" after the line "I made a fire and watchin' it burn." That "yeah" makes me happy. Yeah.

0 Comments:

Post a comment