Saturday, December 14, 2002

Around here, I am considered the unofficial IT Helpdesk. It is no secret that the other gentlemen in the office are getting quite frustrated with their computers these days. More than once, I have heard them reminding themselves to bring a sledgehammer in to "fix" their problems.
    I had been listening to one of them grumbling at his machine for quite some time this morning when he yells to me, "Now my stupid tab button won't tab between fields in my Quickbooks program."
    "Try pushing the Alt button," I yelled back. (Gotta love our "intercom" system.)
    "Hey, it works!" he yelled with a hint of amazement. (Why do they ask me questions if they doubt I can answer?)

I dare say that nearly everyone has made a mixed tape at some point. I had dozens of them back before I had a cd player in my car. I just had not realized that some people were so hardcore about developing the perfect song sequence... making it into an artform, if you will.

Take Art of the Mix, for instance. I don't know if I actually get it, but these people upload the song titles and their artwork for their "albums" with catchy titles like Watching Sheep Watch You or Happy Baking Mixy Time or one of the more unique titles, songs stolen from mixes stolen from my car by some williamsburgh thugs when they stole my car. So then people leave comments about how these lists inspired them or something. ("Wow, I never thought listening to 'My Sherona' followed by 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Livin' La Vida Loca' would stir up so much emotion in my soul. Next time you might consider 'Stairway to Heaven' or 'Freebird', because people like those songs." Okay, I just made that up, but people leave comments.) It's kind of weird.

First Class is kind of along the same lines, but not so much. I like this place better for some reason. It seems a little more informational. (And if you like that place, be sure to check out videos.antville.org. They post links to places that you can find music videos online.)

Of course, some might argue that I, of all people, should not be promoting this artform, because, as you can see, the RIAA specifically says that "mixed tapes and compilation cds featuring one or more artists" is piracy. And we all know that we shouldn't mess with the RIAA... with proof in this article about them busting a music piracy ring this week. I guess part of me wants to register and put up my track list for the Refrigerator Magnets pre-show music Michael and I put together last year. (Though Volume 2 was way more amazing.)

If you are on the planet Earth, you are invited to leave your message to the future with the KEO Project. It's a bird-like satellite they are going to launch into orbit that will supposedly return to Earth in 50,000 years. They want us, you and me, to leave messages for the future to tell about life here and now. The deadline for submissions is December 31st, so get to it! (A sick little part of me wants to fabricate some completely far-fetched scenario of what life is like... sort of a Jetsons-like image of the world. Bad.)

I think I just got recruited to sew costumes for some parade thing starting in January. A guy just stopped by the office, and Karl somehow got to telling him how I sewed my tie skirt. The guy sticks his head in my office and says hopefully, "You sew?" He apparently has 300 costumes that need to be made in the next six months and said it would be a great way to make extra money. Sweet. Count me in.

Merry Christmas to me. I just got one of these Combination Television/Radio/Flashlight/ Lantern/Sirens from a certain booking agency which shall remain nameless. Just in time for my drive to Iowa. Sweet as!

0 Comments:

Post a comment