Wednesday, October 23, 2002

It's a humbling thing to know you were the first person called in a tragedy.

Saturday
1:47 AM

Phone rings. I had been asleep for thirty minutes at most, but I was having that is-my-phone-ringing?-why-is-my-phone-ringing? confusion going on.

1:48 AM
Manage to get downstairs. See the number on the mobile and home phones is the same. Uh-oh. Either there is something extremely exciting going on over there or something has gone horribly wrong. Call back.

1:49 AM
Fi: Hello?
Me: Fiona?
F: Yes?
M: This is Danielle.
F: I'm sorry; did I wake you?
M: Yes, but that's okay... what's going on?
F: Oh Danielle, I didn't know who else to call. The guys have been in an accident...

Everything gets a little blurry from there. I was at their place by 2:30. We were to the accident site by 3:25. (One of the most horrible feelings in the world: seeing the lights and vehicles from an accident of your loved ones, and then having to drive another six miles past in order to get turned around to the right side of the interstate.) To the hospital by 4:40. Back at apartment by 10:00. Asleep by 11:00. Awake again at 2:00.

My heart just aches when I think of how much worse it could have been... though it was horrible as it was. I hate that it takes things like this happening before we can show that -- or before we even realize how much -- we care about people. They kept thanking me and apologizing for getting me involved in everything -- but I would have been hurt if they hadn't.

Ours wasn't the only tragedy this weekend. Recah's sister went through a horrible experience in South Africa, and a good friend of theirs was killed. So sad.

Anyway... I think that this too shall pass.

Moviepooper - because sometimes you don't want to see what you're missing.

An Interview with God... The richest person is not the one who has the most but the one who needs the least.

Song of the Day:
Embrasse Moi - Les Nubians

0 Comments:

Post a comment