Wednesday, September 25, 2002

We celebrated the autumnal equinox last night with a little aussie wine while playing cards on the deck by the pond/fountain. It was a little rowdy and deliciously chilly. It got down to the 50's -- bring on the changing leaves and sweaters and bonfires. I love AUTUMN!!

(T, when are you coming here again? I think last night I agreed to go to Australia for a month or two in March if I can get a sabbatical from work. Then again, I think I also agreed to marry Drew, so who knows if I'm obligated to go.)

The Universal Packing List - perfect for the travel with the tendency to forget to take enough... and the one with the tendency to take far too much.

Though it has apparently been floating around (no pun intended), this was news to me...

"It happened on November 12, 1970. The carcass of a sperm whale had been rotting on the beach just south of Florence, OR for several days. At the time, the Oregon Highway Division (now called the Oregon Department of Transportation) had jurisdiction over beaches and decided to dispose of the whale the same way they would clear a large boulder from a highway construction project. The rest is history." -- from The Exploding Whale

Yeah, so they blew the thing up in a massive explosion of whale guts... not completely unlike the shark guts at the end of Jaws. You can watch the news report and explosion here.

Song for the Day:
Man in the Mirror - Michael Jackson

0 Comments:

Post a comment