Sunday, September 22, 2002

How to Make Your Own Game of RISKTM... Like I Did

The Board
The map of my board was created from this graphic. I resized it so that it was the size of a full sheet of paper. I erased all of the color and words out so it was just a black and white outline of the territories.

My photocopier can blow up images. So I first doubled the map from one page to two pages. Then I blew those two pages up to four pages each. So the end map is four pieces of paper by two pieces of paper all taped together.

I chose to add the text after it was blown up to keep it sharp. I printed them out, taped them where I wanted them on the pages, and then rephotocopied those pages. I also added this compass and this galleon as decorations.

I used this font (preview John Speed) for the title of the game, this font (preview Zothique) for the names of the oceans, and used this font (preview Queensland) for the names of the territories.

I used packing tape on the back side to tape the 8 pages together. Then I outlined the territories with black sharpie. I outlined the inside of each territory with the corresponding color of the continent. (North America, South America, Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia) I colored the territories in lightly and used a little brown chaulk on the oceans to give an aged look.

I covered the whole thing with contact paper (front and back) to keep it safe from tears and spills.

The Cards
I used the handy sheets of business cards to make the game cards. I used the black and white territory outline from the board, and just cropped out a square containing each territory for each card. Used the same font for the text. Used a black silhouette of a soldier, canon, or horseman on each. Colored the territory with the corresponding continent color. Printed "RISK" on the back... and voila!

The Army Pieces
The earlier versions of the game did not have the fancy-schmancy pieces like the newer versions do, but they worked just as well. They had six sets of different colored pieces, one set for each player. They consisted of a large number of three pointed shaped pieces (each representing one army) plus several star or asterisk shaped pieces (equivalent to ten armies each).

I found a simple solution to this aspect of the game in my craft box. Little tri beads have the three points like the old game one-army pieces. The sunburst beads actually have six sides, but they should be sufficient. (Both come in packages for $.50 from Hobby Lobby.)

Each color is stored neatly in it's own container.

The Dice
Traditional RISKTM requires three red dice for the attacker and two white dice for the defender. Being the purist that I am, I decided to go with that color scheme though mine are slightly marbellized. Got them for $4 at a local gaming store.

The Rules
I printed out the rules that I found at the Hasbro site... for those of us who need a refresher course on the gameplay.

And that was it. I believe we are having game night tonight... so we'll see how it works! :)

0 Comments:

Post a comment