Tuesday, February 05, 2002

Today on my lunch hour I finally went to see the Confederate Cemetery in Carnton that I pass signs for every day. I used to be so disappointed with my friends who live in amazingly historic areas and yet they have never visited any of them. I always thought that if I ever lived in New England or coastal Virginia or coastal Florida, I would most certainly take advantage of the history lesson surrounding me. So now I find myself in my own little time warp, and I intend to take advantage of the beauty.

I also have a strange fascination with cemeteries. There is such a mysterious beauty about them. So many stories. So much pain and heartache. So many heros and loved ones. I wish I had had my camera with me today.

There were rows upon rows of small grave markers with one aisle going down the middle. The rectangular resting place was surrounded by an iron fence with a gate on either end. The far end met up with the McGavock family cemetary... the curious thing I noticed about the family area was that so many of them died at early ages. I wonder what their stories are.

I did not spend much time there, because it was rather cold. There were several old trees that creaked in the wind. As I stepped on some soft earth and sank ever so slightly, my imagination started getting away with me. It was deliciously eerie.

When I came back I thought I would look for some more information on it. Glad I did that after I had been there. Supposedly the place is haunted... if you believe in that kind of thing. This site shows supposed photos.

Anyway... that was my fun for today. Now I have the hiccups. I need Hiccups Away.

0 Comments:

Post a comment