Sunday, February 24, 2002


Okay, I admit it. I can see why people think that that Ohno kid is just cute as the dickens... but I have been concerned about those little fan soul patches. First of all, I don't know that I completely agree that is it a soul patch as opposed to a goatee of sorts. Surprisingly, I found a few articles on the subject.

ESPN.com discusses what a soul patch can actually say... "a soul patch says things like, 'I'm cool' or 'I'm a little rebellious' or 'I'm sensitive' or 'I'm a little hung up on myself' or 'I can grow hair right there on that spot right below my lip, and some of my friends can't.'" (What's with the backwards flags on that photo anyway?)

Kim Ode from the Star Tribune apparently does not dig the patch, though she does admit that he is adorable. "So I'm liking Apolo Anton Ohno. I like his moves on the inside curve of the speedskating oval. I like his refusal to whine for NBC about the realities of short-track racing. I like his back story. I like his looks. He is cute, really cute." I don't know. I think I prefer the soulpatch to a full blown goatee.

The Seattle Times goes into the history of the soul patch. It also mentions that "Evening Magazine host John Curley made 3,000 replicas of [Ohno's soul patch] with fake fur and double-stick tape, then gave them to fans who wore them to Ohno's gold-medal-winning race Wednesday night."

So they may have a point. Soul patch fever. Yeah, maybe. But am I the only one who thinks we just have 3,000 people walking around looking a bit like Charlie Chaplin? (Yes, I know his was a mustache, but really, they don't look a thing like Apolo either.)

Which Final Fantasy 8 Character Are You?

You are Irvine! Comfortable whether in social settings or
home on the range, you're easygoing and have a good heart.
That is one reason everyone seems to adore you. But
sometimes you feel like people don't see the real you
behind that cowboy hat.

Take the Final Fantasy 8 Test here!



Song of the Day:
Crossroads - LL Cool J
This song takes me back to junior year. What a weird experience. Chad and Dustin were the closest thing to gangstas that my tiny hometown had... but somehow we connected on some level. Does that make me a gangsta ho?

0 Comments:

Post a comment