Saturday, November 17, 2001

Okay, so I am doing a stupid thing. I have seen all these people talking about their NaNoWriMo novels, and I found myself wishing that I had started writing one at the beginning of the month as well. The basic idea of National Novel Writing Month is to write a 50,000-word novel between November 1st and 30th. Suddenly yesterday, after wasting the entire first half of the month, I decided I was going to try and make it anyway. I sat down last night and churned out 3,538 words. It really is not good, and I have no idea where the story is going... but I guess that is the idea. It is all about quantity and not quality. The goal is to get the 50,000 words down and then worry about going back and fixing later.

My characters are a combination of a bunch of my friends. I plan on pulling events out of actual life events with a few embellishments. I was really surprised how easily I cranked out the first couple thousand. I work well under pressure. Actually, I only work under pressure, so it works out well. (My college roommates always hated me for being able to sit down and write an A-paper the night before it was due.)
Novel writing is mostly a "one day" event. As in "One day, I'd like to write a novel." Here's the truth: 99% of us, if left to our own devices, would never make the time to write a novel. It's just so far outside our normal lives that it constantly slips down to the bottom of our to-do lists. The structure of NaNoWriMo forces you to put away all those self-defeating worries and START. Once you have the first five chapters under your belt, the rest will come easily. Or painfully. But it will come. And you'll have friends to help you see it through to 50k.
--from NaNoWriMo FAQ
So what if they are not allowing people to sign up after October 29th. This year is going to be for personal satisfaction. Maybe if I make this an annual torture, I will have a shelf of my own work by the end of my lifetime.

My inspiration at the moment is Kathleen Turner at the beginning of Romancing the Stone. When I get close to the end, I am definitely building a fire and throwing dishes into the fireplace.

I ran across the page of Brian Longtin. Seems like an interesting character. His post for November 15th seemed to sum up a lot of my thoughts on that matter as well.

I also had to laugh at his description of the redman concert the night before. Sounds exactly like when Manda, Krystal, and I saw Vanilla Ice last spring. We had a lot of "say 'yeah'... say 'hell yeah'" there too. And I forget exactly what the weed reference line was... but yeah... I can still say that I have seen Vanilla Ice in concert.



 

Isn't this amazing? According to FOXnews.com some U.S. Special Forces are fighting on horseback, and they have requested that saddles, bridles and horsefeed be included in supply drops into the area. Crazy.


 


Song of the Day:
Table for Glasses - Jimmy Eat World
This song will always remind me of riding in the car with Jay first thing in the morning and him warming up his voice with this song. Today I have Bleed American, Clarity, and Static Prevails on shuffle in WinAmp. Woohoo!
(That Brian dude likes JEW too, which makes him cooler than average.)

0 Comments:

Post a comment