Wednesday, September 12, 2001

You know, my generation didn't know Kennedy, Lennon, or King Jr.... but we have our own tragic events... and the news of which will stick in our minds for all time.

...The Challenger Explosion (I was in the library at Kinsey Elementary School with Jenna, Cory, Matt, & Mrs. Thompson when Mr. Mars brought a television in for us to watch the blast-off live.)
...The Gulf War (Okay, this one is sketchy to me, but I remember watching the news in Mr. Jensen's class.)
...Kurt Cobain's Suicide (I was on the floor of the living room watching Entertainment Tonight.)
...The OJ Simpson Car Chase (Lisa and I were bowling at Quantico Marine Base.)
...Princess Diana's Death (Micah told me when I got to the church where their ARC group was performing.)

And then there was today. The World Trade Centre has been leveled by a terrorist act. I can't believe how messed up humanity can be. How can anyone rationalize this behavior enough to give their life to hijack a plane and crash it into a building? It's just sickening really.

Tim Poss, of SuperOne in Atlanta, told me about it when I called in first thing this morning.

We were kinda in a funk all day at the office. Hovering around the television with CNN broadcasting non-stop all day. I don't think it really hit me until I went out to the post office and caught site of a huge flag flying at half-staff. It was then that I really lost it. So many people's lives have been rocked much more than mine. It's just this great feeling of sickening helplessness.

Too bad this had to overshadow the great post I had planned for today reporting on our "celebration of autumn" last night. Complete with parks and scary stories and bonfires and hockey masks.

No song for the day.

DDPS / Days:
2.5 / 8
Alright, so I caved. It was a stressful day, and Starbucks was closed.

0 Comments:

Post a comment