Wednesday, January 07, 2009

iLove
I cannot believe I am about to admit my newfound love (and complete dependence) on an Apple product. I've been so anti-Apple for my own self-righteous reasons, and I haven't hated them very quietly either.

So imagine my surprise when I opened one of my Christmas presents fromlHans and found a nano. I hate to admit that my first thought was "what the heck am I going to do with THIS?". The fact that it is purple DID endear it to me slightly, but honestly, we don't take the train anymore... did he think I was going to wear it around the house?

My next present was an FM transmitter, and he told me that he remembered me saying that I missed my radio stations back in the States and thought I might be able to find some podcasts to listen to in the car. This is why I love him to bits. Oh my goodness.

I immediately went to iTunes and subscribed to the podcasts of This American Life, All Songs Considered, Studio 360, Fresh Air (I ♥ Terry!), The Splendid Table and Car Talk.

This has CHANGED MY LIFE! I cannot even put it fully into words.

No more asinine drive-time radio djs. No more crap music. No more breaking news updates with the latest comings and goings of the Britneys and Parises of the world. I'm back to the glory days of PRI and NPR. My IQ is thanking me.

The only thing I DO miss is the traffic reports. I take that back. I don't even care. In fact, I almost WISH there would be a traffic jam, because then I'd get to stay in the car listening to Lynn Rosetto Kasper just that little bit longer.

Labels:

3 Comments:

I've tried to not become an Apple convert, but I do love the iPod.

2:11 AM  

Of all the people I know in the world, you are the last I'd expect to be "anti- Apple". I only hope that you realize that what the nano has done to your drive is only the tip of the Apple iceberg.

2:25 PM  

I think my anti-Apple-ness is twofold. #1. I think that anybody can use an Apple. It's almost TOO easy. It's like Dreamweaver and all those programs that build WYSIWYG webpages -- it's a slap in the face to those of us who learned to code them from scratch. And #2, I think it's because everybody has them.

On the other hand, I think they are very sleek and pretty and design-wise are worlds beyond anything else. But yeah. I'm stubborn like that. :D

4:50 PM  

Post a comment