Friday, June 15, 2007

Little Update
There was a show last night. Much fun was had by all... except that we weren't home until midnight. The fact that I even have to mention that proves that I'm officially an old fart.

On the way home we were talking about methods to keep ourselves awake while driving when overly tired, such as opening the window and turning the radio up, etc.

My trick was to aways turn it to NPR if it wasn't already. Just the talking itself made me pay attention and be more alert. But if that didn't work, I would force myself to repeat everything they said. It was nearly fool-proof.

However the best tip came from Gareth who said that his sister used to roll her window down a crack, put a piece of hair out the window, and roll it shut again with her hair still out. That way if she would start to nod off, she'd feel the pain of her hair pulled and snap out of it. How brilliant is that??

Chills and Goosebumps
I just can't help but cry when I see the videos of Paul Potts on Britain's Got Talent. His first performance singing "Nessun Dorma" was so beautiful, and then the semi-final performance singing "Time to Say Goodbye" was just spectacular. (And after having listened to that Sarah Brightman album endlessly, I could sing right along with him.) He's just the guy you want to win the whole thing on behalf of all the kids who were teased for not being just like everyone else.

Lost in Translation
slice (slyce)
n. a square dessert or snack item; the Australian culinary equivalent of an American bar
"I'll have a coffee and a macadamia nut slice, please."

Gah, I HATE this term with every ounce of my being. It just sounds so gross to me. I cringe from it like others cringe from the word "moist". They're bars, people. They are chocolate/walnut BARS. Toffee nut BARS. Toasted almond BARS.

On that note, people here don't make rice krispie bars. What is up with that? It's the simplest snack in the world to make. Don't tell Mom, but I don't even measure. Just melt the 'mallows with a little butter. Add a dash of vanilla. Throw in enough rice krispies but keep the mixture still gooey. Spread in a buttered pan and... my family's secret ingredient... cover with M&M's. Yummm!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Jun 14 2007, 09:14 pm

ha! but we do make rice krispie BARS here....which is where you should live.

10:00 PM  

Jun 15 2007, 01:49 am

OMGosh - Yes!!! About Paul Potts. I saw that, too and to have everyone giving him a standing ovation, PLUS the fact that the judges were all sweet to him, made me cry like a baby. (I am a sucker for underdogs) Hopefully that gave him the confidence he richly deserves. I want him to win and go on to sing his heart out all over the world!

And I hear you about the word 'slice'. Ick. The baking issues in this country... And where are all of the fruit pies? I would give my left arm for blueberry pie right now...

10:00 PM  

Jun 17 2007, 10:42 pm

ok so paul potts is taking the world by storm. officially. and apparently he won the whole competition.

10:01 PM  

Post a comment