Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Americans Among Us
I went to the Arbonne launch last night (as of next Sunday, I'm a consultant again!) and only had a couple of moments where I felt compelled to affect my Australian accent to not be associated with the Americans in the crowd. (Mostly when we were in the lounge before time, and one of the men could not stop being the loudest person in the room.) It was weird to be in the company of so many people from "back home". We (yes, I dragged Hans along) sat next to a couple from Kentucky, and the lady and I Southerned it up before it started. Oh, how I miss Nashville.

One thing they should have pointed out to the speakers before they got up is that Australians... they understand you. You may have a hard time figuring out what the phrases here mean, but trust me when I say that your accent and figures of speech are nothing new here.

Anyway, we have the day off today, and two nieces are coming over later. I've got rice krispie bars to make!

3 Comments:

Jun 27 2007, 07:37 am

I'm still waiting for that first awkward moment when I become self-conscious about my "americaness". There are a few of us in my department at the Uni, but we are all generally low-key types. Don't know if I could pull off an Aussie accent, but I'm quite certain I could pass for a Canadian.

9:35 PM  

Jun 28 2007, 05:11 am

We take a lot of public transport and have come across a good handful of clueless Americans... but I argue that there are times I would be just as embarrassed to be associated with the Australians we run into, so it's six of one, half-dozen of another!

9:35 PM  

Jul 02 2007, 11:17 am

Isn't it funny how we tend to disassociate ourselves with our fellow compatriots? I do this a lot too, and I really don't know why. Perhaps on some subconscious level they remind us that we are still "outsiders", even though we strive to blend in and adjust. Or maybe they're just jerks. Hmmmmm....

9:35 PM  

Post a comment