Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Poked & Prodded
I'm not sure many of you have any idea what it takes to become a permanent resident in another country... I know I sure was clueless until about a year ago. Let's just say they don't make it easy or cheap to make sure you really want it.

This is what has been done so far on the checklist:
  • I'm nearly finished with my 29-page form.
  • Hans is still working on his 12-page form as my sponsor.
  • The lady we used to live with has returned her statutory declaration as witness to the nature of our lasting relationship and made certified copies of her passport and marriage license.
  • Hans's boss is working on the other statutory declaration.
  • We have bought a certified copy of our marriage license.
  • And I've made the appointment for my medical exam.
I've been putting off the medical exam (and the 8-page form) part in hopes that it would just go away. I try not to go to the doctor if I can help it at all. And if I really need to go, I try to make it coordinate with a trip back to my hometown, so at least I know the doctor in question.

And this isn't just any $295 medical examination. Oh no. My appointment is at the end of the month, but the week prior, I have to go get a chest x-ray. (And bring in my 3-page form.) And on FRIDAY, I have to go in to have blood drawn. All this just so that they know I'm not carrying tuberculosis or HIV or cooties.

The problem is... I have a thing with needles. That thing being the whole panic-and-hyperventilate-until-you-pass-out thing. The idea alone is making me a little lightheaded as I type.

I think there were two too many instances of the nurse not being able to find a vein and just jabbing around in there like someone who has sucked all the fruity juice out of an icee and is trying to find a little drop more before throwing the cup away. I know the secret of drinking a couple of gallons of water before going in to help plump up the veins, but somehow this has never really helped me.

Oh well. I guess this goes to show how much I really love this guy.

Getting my fingerprints taken tomorrow so I can send for the FBI criminal background check. Fun fun.

A Conversation
Me: So... umm... where's the PSP?
Him: I'm not telling.
Me: It's only been a month and a half, and you're hiding things from me already!

This LocoRoco addiction is getting a little out of hand. And I don't care that someone wants to ruin it by implying it's racist.

3 Comments:

Jul 10 2006, 11:22 pm

but love's worth it right?
tell me the love is worth it!!
i'm exceptionally proud of you going through all this.

9:21 PM  

Jul 11 2006, 05:46 am


Oh definitely worth it. As someone who knew the story from before there even was a story (hehe), you should know that this is the easy part! How many years of questioning agony was it? Two and a half?

I'm used to seeing your beautiful face every three months. Having some serious withdrawal here. Love you!

9:22 PM  

Jul 11 2006, 05:16 pm

yah, i miss you too.
hans owes me bigtime for those years of agonising I shared with you! hehehe..

9:22 PM  

Post a comment