Saturday, February 18, 2006

What's So Great about Gorillaz?
Don't get me wrong, I find myself bopping along to their music just like the next person. It's catchy music. And, I have to admit, the idea of a virtual band is a novel one.

The thing that gets me is all the hype about their so-called performances. Folks, let's be honest here--it's a movie. I know, I know. But they are so life-like and huuuuge. Yes, and the other day I saw Daniel Radcliffe "perform" as well. He was also very huge and life-like. You can see Harry Potter III at the IMAX too.

And yeah, they are 3D. I live with an animator. I've heard enough about the animation. I'll give them credit as having an innovative new artform. Melding the music and the movement into a sort of non-band, really.

But when I hear people all excited about them going on tour, all I can think is that you can count me out. (I'm not the funnest person to go to a show with anyway.) But if you're not getting any new LIVE elements to the music, then isn't it just like listening to the cd? And if you're not getting any LIVE elements to the performance, then aren't you just watching a movie? And I don't know about you, but the last time I listened to an entire album WHILE STANDING UP was back when I was choreographing totally awesome dance moves to my New Kids on the Block cassette.

So yeah, the other day at the office, people were ooo-ing and ahh-ing over their duet with Madonna. How did they DO that?? In my head, I knew it had to be less amazing than it looked. Sure enough, after watching it a few times, it was clear that Madonna was being projected as well. The first thing that tipped me off was her missing battery pack, but her outfit wasn't even the same... as I now see other people have noted.

On the other hand, I loved the rendition of "Dirty Harry" at the Brit Awards. I could watch that over and over again for two reasons: 1. The choir director and the way he dances around, and 2. for the simple fact that those kids have GOT to be loving every minute of it and will be savoring that moment probably for the rest of their lives.

Anyway, this site had a couple links to articles about the technology behind the Gorillaz visuals and the history of holograms.

Mmm, yeah, anyway. Rant over.

2 Comments:

Feb 20 2006, 02:19 pm


Word.

(I don't understand the fascination either.)

8:49 PM  

Feb 21 2006, 08:56 am


I get what your saying about the gorillaz going on tour. I would love to see it simply as an animated show / animated music video. As for the live element I believe the actual artist may play a bit in the background are there will probably be some featured (live) artists as well.

p.s. thanks for your comment

8:52 PM  

Post a comment