Monday, October 24, 2005

Celebration of Autumn
Being the week before Halloween (a holiday barely recognized over here), I think it is time to pull out the link to the Murder of Scarecrows game at the Skeleton Shop. My first score for this year is 385. I'm sure I'll try to beat that at some point.

Oh, and check out Googhoul.com to find Halloween events in your area. Indy's got a ton!

Adventures in Eating
Friday night Hans and I met up with his brother and sister-in-law in the Valley. He's been talking about this Japanese restaurant called Koh-ya, and we finally had the chance to go.

The place is great. Each table has a round hollow in the middle, and there is a grill lit in each one. They bring out platters of raw meats and veggies, and you cook it yourself over the fire.

I was adventurous and tried a couple of new foods (that I may never eat again). The first was ox tongue. (I just about yakked just typing that.) I wasn't going to do it, but how often will I have this opportunity? It wasn't the taste that was the problem so much as the texture. A little too chewy for my liking. And not to mention what it looked like when Daniel was going to flip the pieces over on the grill. One piece had sort of stuck to the grill, and the visual of it being pulled up and off, along with the knowledge of what it actually was, just made me think of that kid in A Christmas Story.

The other thing I tried was called yukke. (It doesn't look like it's pronounced "yucky" for nothing.) It's basically steak tartare -- a pile of raw meat with a raw egg cracked on top. Being something of a delicacy, I, again, thought I should at least try it. It really didn't taste too bad. The texture was like that of sundried tomatoes. But I've watched too much Oprah to be able to push aside the thought that I was ingesting all kinds of bad things that are ordinarily killed by the cooking process.

Then the waitress brought two bottles of sake to our table by accident, and suddenly everything started to taste better. :) It was also my first sake experience. I was surprised to find it was served piping hot. By the end of the night, we had determined that sake should be served with everything.

Afterwards we walked up the street and had yummy gelati that was the closest thing I've had to American ice cream here so far. (The dairy here just isn't the same.)

Lost in Translation
gob (gahb)
n. mouth
"After listening to him all morning, she finally told him to shut his gob."

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a comment