Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Phantom Pains
Erin (Happy Belated Birthday... I didn't post that day.) recently posted about her dental issues, and it put a certain fear within my soul. I, too, brush my teeth on a regular basis. I'll even floss after eating corn on the cob. But I hadn't been to the dentist since 1997 -- and for people who would scoff at that, I say... when you don't have dental insurance to pay your bills for you, suddenly getting your teeth "polished" every six months becomes less of a priority.

Now here's where the hard part to admit comes in. See, I have had a toothache for a good six months now. I'm pretty sure it started before Australia, and only got worse the last time I flew to Florida. I knew I needed to get it checked out before it reached root-canal depths, but quite honestly was afraid to do so.

The main issue is that I haven't had a cavity since before I lost my baby teeth. I had a couple of caps and a filling or two... and I remember not especially enjoying that experience. But those teeth have been traded in for a quarter or two under the pillow, and now the idea of getting my teeth DRILLED simply horrifies me.

So with great trepidation, I went to the dentist last Thursday.

I told the lady about my pain on the lower left side. I can even pinpoint the spots on the two teeth I think are the culprits. So she x-rayed and she scraped and she cleaned and she polished. And all the while I'm just waiting for the bad news.

The dentist comes in. Asks me what I've been up to over the last few years. "Well, I haven't been going to the dentist, if that's what you mean." He laughs and holds the x-rays up to the light. I curl my legs up on the chair just waiting. What's the damage. He looks in a different light. Just tell me already. He shows them to the lady.

"Well, I don't know how to tell you this... but there's no decay there."

WHAT?

ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME?

"Yeah, they all look fine. Tell your mother that she needs to take you out for lunch for a good check-up."

Umm... so the pain? I'm just making this up? He gave me a little pack of green dental floss and suggested that I actually use it. Perhaps it's a little gum irritation.

Okay fine. No cavities. Woot! See you in another 8 YEARS, Doc!
Road Warrior Amongst Other Things
So Saturday I bid my hometown farewell once again and opted to take the long way home, just to get some brief yet quality time in with this guy. Ahh, yes. Much fun rehashing the details of his trip to the southern hemisphere. I'm now the proud owner of a Bolivian blanket... with a hole in it. (Commonly known as a poncho... but we're not common.) Hey, at least there wasn't a "Made in China" tag on it.

So three hours in the D'port equals getting to Nashville at 1:45 am, but I'm a trooper. Had some phonecalls keeping me company.

Woke up at 1:30 on Saturday in order to ride down to Birmingham to see the show with the office folks. Good times were had by all. Really glad I didn't have to drive -- as I didn't get home until 4:30 am.

We all went out to dinner at this amazing restaurant. I would seriously consider driving three hours to go back for the salad of delight and joy that I had. The main ingredients were small shell pasta, sweet peas, chicken, fresh mozzarella cheese and watercress. All I need is the gist of the sauce, and I will make that every day for the rest of my LIFE. YUMMY!

Hell Week... aka ThelGMAs
We are in the throes of the industry's biggest shmoozefest. I should have gone to see my friends play last night but didn't. I should go see FamilylForcel5 tonight but probably won't. Hiding out. Waiting for the people to go away.

0 Comments:

Post a comment